For my FMP i plan to start my own independent record label for Rock and acoustic based genres. I wish to sign at least 3 – 4 artists (2 bands and 2 solo) to the label. From this if the artist wishes to release an EP/Album/Single then i will get that recorded for them and release the material through the label. Once all profits have been recouped i plan to split the profits with the artist 20/80 in their favor.
The big thing i wish to focus on is to put on a gig with the artists i sign and record all the sets to create a big live album and call it “Hot air Music Presents…”, this will most likely be a free download from the website.
I have currently written up some basic recording contracts for the label and i am getting a logo designed by a student on the art course.
Another thing i can do for the artists is manage them slightly if they require those kind of services. I will also be marketing and promoting them along with the label
Objectives for record Label –
- Sign 3-4 artists with a mix of bands and solo acts
- Organise and put on an end of term gig at bar 42 with all the artists
- Record a live compilation album of the gig
- record/release any material the artists are working on through the label
Objectives focusing on the artists –
- Organise/Record the album/Ep of each artist and release them through the label
- Promote and market the artists and any material they will be releasing through the label
- Set up social network accounts and a wordpress site for the artists
- Take press photos of the band
- Organise/locate gigs for your artists to perform at
Over the course of the project i plan to keep records and evidence of work i have done by keeping a weekly reflection that critically analyses my progress from the last week. I will also put the gig i plan to arrange a week or two before end of term to leave evaluation time.
Areas i need to research into for this project are:
- Other independent record labels
- The musical landscape and local scenes within Worthing and Brighton
- Local music blogs/magazines for marketing and promotion
- Artists to do artwork
- Photographers for press photographs
- Promoters to help promote the end of term gig
- Venues around Brighton and Worthing which i can organise gigs at for my aritsts
Roles i will be undertaking with this project:
- A&R – I will be doing this in order to search for similar bands which would work well together and compliment each other live. I will also need to find session musicians to work with any solo acts i have signed
- Marketing and Promotion – i will need to continuously market and promote the artists, the label and any material being released through my label.
- PR – in support of the marketing and promotion i will need to look into the local music scenes and liaise with members of the public who would be interested in the artists i will be working with
- Events management – i will need to undertake the role of an events management team for the gig i plan to put on, this will include some of the above roles and also new ones relating to events management.
- Artist manager – If required by the artists i sign i will also be taking on the role of their manager. I will not require any additional charges for this service. This means that i can book session musicians, recording sessions, liaise with artists, photographers, session musicians, media etc…