Starting off the first of many “Hot Air Music Presents…” gigs we had New Tropics supported by Funkzilla, Etcetera and our Luke Amor. Night went well, had a nice crowd although a lot of people seemed to leave after Funkzilla leaving New Tropics with a smaller audience then they should have for a band of their calibre. Check out all the artists on Facebook!!!
Photos by Leanne Cushnie
For my FMP i plan to start my own independent record label for Rock and acoustic based genres. I wish to sign at least 3 – 4 artists (2 bands and 2 solo) to the label. From this if the artist wishes to release an EP/Album/Single then i will get that recorded for them and release the material through the label. Once all profits have been recouped i plan to split the profits with the artist 20/80 in their favor.
The big thing i wish to focus on is to put on a gig with the artists i sign and record all the sets to create a big live album and call it “Hot air Music Presents…”, this will most likely be a free download from the website.
I have currently written up some basic recording contracts for the label and i am getting a logo designed by a student on the art course.
Another thing i can do for the artists is manage them slightly if they require those kind of services. I will also be marketing and promoting them along with the label
Objectives for record Label –
- Sign 3-4 artists with a mix of bands and solo acts
- Organise and put on an end of term gig at bar 42 with all the artists
- Record a live compilation album of the gig
- record/release any material the artists are working on through the label
Objectives focusing on the artists –
- Organise/Record the album/Ep of each artist and release them through the label
- Promote and market the artists and any material they will be releasing through the label
- Set up social network accounts and a wordpress site for the artists
- Take press photos of the band
- Organise/locate gigs for your artists to perform at
Over the course of the project i plan to keep records and evidence of work i have done by keeping a weekly reflection that critically analyses my progress from the last week. I will also put the gig i plan to arrange a week or two before end of term to leave evaluation time.
Areas i need to research into for this project are:
- Other independent record labels
- The musical landscape and local scenes within Worthing and Brighton
- Local music blogs/magazines for marketing and promotion
- Artists to do artwork
- Photographers for press photographs
- Promoters to help promote the end of term gig
- Venues around Brighton and Worthing which i can organise gigs at for my aritsts
Roles i will be undertaking with this project:
- A&R – I will be doing this in order to search for similar bands which would work well together and compliment each other live. I will also need to find session musicians to work with any solo acts i have signed
- Marketing and Promotion – i will need to continuously market and promote the artists, the label and any material being released through my label.
- PR – in support of the marketing and promotion i will need to look into the local music scenes and liaise with members of the public who would be interested in the artists i will be working with
- Events management – i will need to undertake the role of an events management team for the gig i plan to put on, this will include some of the above roles and also new ones relating to events management.
- Artist manager – If required by the artists i sign i will also be taking on the role of their manager. I will not require any additional charges for this service. This means that i can book session musicians, recording sessions, liaise with artists, photographers, session musicians, media etc…
For my final major project i set out to create an online record label and to work with artists on releasing new material and promoting them. The main focus of the project was to help me build up my marketing and promotion skills.
I feel like i began quite strong booking three gigs in April to host three of my artists at some point. Gig aspect i feel overall have gone quite well with some good gigs, some bad but ultimately i feel that i have learned more about timing, organisation and also building up bands by organizing these events.
One thing i have picked up was a technique shared to me from Mark Knowles of Bar 42. His idea for building up bands as headliners is to get a big headliner who will bring a crowd and then two local support bands who are quite well known within worthing. You put the band you with to build upon as main support or second support. This way if you get people who are coming to the gig to see the headline and maybe the second support band whilst your band are on main support they will most likely have to listen to that band. This is good as it means that you hopefully will get people who like the band you are choosing to promote and from this you do the same again with new support and headliners and the same main support band. People who attended the previous gig may think “hey, we saw that band last time, they were really good” and may want to come again. This is a long rinse and repeat process which takes time but has worked for Mark and is something i plan to put into practice with my artists for future events.
I feel another thing i have been good at in the project is the graphical side of things with posters and websites being designed for gigs and my artists. You can check out the main Hot Air Music website here, from there you will find links to artists wordpress and Facebook pages and also evaluations for each gig along with photos and the poster. Speaking of wordpress sites i have not really used the artists sites at all since creating them which is something i should have done to post stuff to then share the posts via Facebook and other social media sites to hopefully draw traffic to the main website,
One big aspect i feel i could have improved on much more was the marketing and promoting side of things. This is something i should have researched into a lot to ensure a bigger crowd to my gigs. My planning throughout the project has not been concise or frequent as well which is something i probably could have done to help me have a focus.
To summarize i feel i have definitely improved on my event management skills but i need to focus on marketing and promotion quite a lot. I also feel that maybe i need to develop Hot Air Music not as a label but more as a promotions company which can release music through and also promote artists, this is something i feel i will work on over the next few months.