I’m back for revenge!!!
Now that summer is over it’s time to get working! “Hot Air Music Presents…” will now be taking place on Tuesdays at Bar 42 as myself and Mark Knowles have something that we’re gonna be working on for Wednesdays. The first gig back is coming soon on 18th October featuring Funkzilla, Etcetera and Christelle.
Opening artist Christelle has an EP you should check out from April, thanks to the support of fans, friends, family and through crowdfunding. You can purchase the EP from iTunes here.
Funkzilla have also been busy writing with some new songs being added to the library, you can here their stuff on their Soundcloud page.
I just had to get my baby niece as she started crying. Now i have here sitting listening to Funkzilla’s Pre Jam which is awesome. Seriously check these guys out.
I have a few recording projects lined up. First being with Phantom of Eden. I have a few original songs for Phantom which not only we will play at the next gig but also hope to record as an EP or album. Also i hope to record my solo stuff soon as well!
In other new i have plans to start doing YouTube videos. I have been planning to re try my music review series Sound Scope of which three original episodes were recorded and were very shit. Thus i am re inventing it and hopefully it will be of interest to anyone. i may also plan some other videos to offer a better range of content.
Starting off the first of many “Hot Air Music Presents…” gigs we had New Tropics supported by Funkzilla, Etcetera and our Luke Amor. Night went well, had a nice crowd although a lot of people seemed to leave after Funkzilla leaving New Tropics with a smaller audience then they should have for a band of their calibre. Check out all the artists on Facebook!!!
Photos by Leanne Cushnie
For my FMP i plan to start my own independent record label for Rock and acoustic based genres. I wish to sign at least 3 – 4 artists (2 bands and 2 solo) to the label. From this if the artist wishes to release an EP/Album/Single then i will get that recorded for them and release the material through the label. Once all profits have been recouped i plan to split the profits with the artist 20/80 in their favor.
The big thing i wish to focus on is to put on a gig with the artists i sign and record all the sets to create a big live album and call it “Hot air Music Presents…”, this will most likely be a free download from the website.
I have currently written up some basic recording contracts for the label and i am getting a logo designed by a student on the art course.
Another thing i can do for the artists is manage them slightly if they require those kind of services. I will also be marketing and promoting them along with the label
Objectives for record Label –
- Sign 3-4 artists with a mix of bands and solo acts
- Organise and put on an end of term gig at bar 42 with all the artists
- Record a live compilation album of the gig
- record/release any material the artists are working on through the label
Objectives focusing on the artists –
- Organise/Record the album/Ep of each artist and release them through the label
- Promote and market the artists and any material they will be releasing through the label
- Set up social network accounts and a wordpress site for the artists
- Take press photos of the band
- Organise/locate gigs for your artists to perform at
Over the course of the project i plan to keep records and evidence of work i have done by keeping a weekly reflection that critically analyses my progress from the last week. I will also put the gig i plan to arrange a week or two before end of term to leave evaluation time.
Areas i need to research into for this project are:
- Other independent record labels
- The musical landscape and local scenes within Worthing and Brighton
- Local music blogs/magazines for marketing and promotion
- Artists to do artwork
- Photographers for press photographs
- Promoters to help promote the end of term gig
- Venues around Brighton and Worthing which i can organise gigs at for my aritsts
Roles i will be undertaking with this project:
- A&R – I will be doing this in order to search for similar bands which would work well together and compliment each other live. I will also need to find session musicians to work with any solo acts i have signed
- Marketing and Promotion – i will need to continuously market and promote the artists, the label and any material being released through my label.
- PR – in support of the marketing and promotion i will need to look into the local music scenes and liaise with members of the public who would be interested in the artists i will be working with
- Events management – i will need to undertake the role of an events management team for the gig i plan to put on, this will include some of the above roles and also new ones relating to events management.
- Artist manager – If required by the artists i sign i will also be taking on the role of their manager. I will not require any additional charges for this service. This means that i can book session musicians, recording sessions, liaise with artists, photographers, session musicians, media etc…